20 July 2008

Tour de France – Stage 14



Nimes to Digne-les-Bains 194.5km


Jeff and I headed off yesterday to watch Le Tour de France on its way to Digne-les-Bains. We waited at the 10km to go mark which was at the top of the last climb into Digne.

Jeff was kitted out in his US Postal team clothing and riding his lightweight thingy (carbon fibre trek bike) – which is so light you have to tie it down so it doesn’t blow away. Me? I was dressed in my usual get-up and riding my pedelec shopper bike – not the typical bike you’d expect to see but it beats getting all hot and sweaty! The pedelec shopper complete with saddle bag left Lance lookalike aka Jeff on the hill climb for dead but he had me on the flat but there again he is a seasoned push iron type guy, and he SHAVES his legs! Saves him on suntan lotion!




The tour was good to watch... but fast, they averaged 46km so I'm told - great atmosphere. The Caravane came through about 1½ hours before the leaders.










Mark Cavendish was dropped on the climb - if you know his colours you will spot him in this photo

No comments: