28 July 2008

Dutch Open – Day 3 – Task 3


Well done to Malcolm Brown who won the day yesterday!

103km task today with a 24km entry start to a turnpoint to the West end of the ridge further than yesterday. The next turnpoint was to the west of Aspres and the next being at Beaumont and then goal at Laragne Camping.

Seems as though about 8 made goal and rumour has it that Miles and Ollie Kynaston – up and coming Brit pilots – were 1st and 2nd so well done young men!

The task today should have been easy but it seems there were a quite few that came unstuck, me included (I went down on the way to the last turnpoint). I didn’t take the route I originally planned before take off and should have done – gaggle suck.

I ended up taking a slightly different route coming back from Beaumont but didn’t make Chabre – not even with a 9,000ft cloudbase – I just got drilled on the glide all the way and ended at the bottom – amazing!

Nick who was our 'driver' for the day decided to fly part of the task but went down therefore I had a few hours to kill in a very pleasant field passing the time of day with the famer, his dogs and some chickens! I was even permitted to sit on the farmer’s seat - unfortunately, there was no beer for the bottle opener!

Farmer's seat with built in bottle opener - cool

My companion for 3hrs

The view from 'my' field


Forecast is for storms tomorrow – but there again they were forecast for today but never arrived!

No comments: