4 August 2008

Dutch Open - Day 8 - Task 7



122km launch from Chabre.

4 turnpoints which had us zipping all over! The meet director described the task as adventurous but quite a few made it to Goal. Bruce was first into Goal but again Malcolm Brown won the day – making him the winner of every task and overall comp winner.

The first turnpoint was West of Sisteron; second North West of Serres; third West of Gap, fourth North of Sisteron; goal as always was Laragne Camping.

I was caught by a dust devil just as I was about the launch which spun me around and was a pretty hairy moment as there were not many people around to help. The paraglider pilot who helped me ended up cursing and swearing as the dusty left my glider and moved on to his, picking up his paraglider complete with harness and taking it on a short flight! I’ve now got a souvenir of the occasion by way of a 3inch rip along my leading edge where the force of the dusty pushed the nose into the ground………. My instrument pod was also bent. It was a powerful moment. Thanks to the 2 pilots who helped, along with Caroline who now has sore hands from gripping the wing wires!

The wind was switching from South to North so patience was key – there were a few dodgy take offs and bent metal.

I was just going to have a fly around and land but each time I thought about landing I bumbled into a thermal so thought I might as well carry on and go around the course. A very pleasant day it turn out to be too but ........ still no rest for my arms and sore elbows!

RESULTS

No comments: