4 September 2007

Holiday?

Have I really just had a ‘holiday’ ~ Or were my testicals just not big enough?

 
Posted by Picasa

The conditions in St Andre were the roughest air I have ever flown in!! Because of the cock-up with my instrument on the first day coupled with the conditions I soon found myself in unfamiliar territory ~ ‘holiday mode’ and enjoyed lazing by the lake with Caroline, driving to the coast to people/posh boat watch and flying on the better days, often being one of the last to take off.

Posh Boat at Villefranche-sur-mer

We also had a great night out at the party at Mark and Helen’s house.





I felt very uncomfortable with the conditions and its my personal opinion that competitions should not be flown in conditions such as we experienced (show respect for the mountains), hopefully we are past the days of the ‘old league’ where the size of your manhood was determined by what conditions you could fly in! I am certainly older and wiser.

There were people who thought the conditions were ok – perhaps they were lucky and found good air for the duration of their flight or perhaps they were just ignorant of the conditions – no doubt my thoughts will cause controversy?

Universal Language

I’m pleased to say that the Roger Daltrey of hang gliding, Ron Richardson survived throwing his ‘chute (and landing in trees) with minor bruising. Spanish pilot Pedro Garcia Morelle also threw his ‘chute in rough air and was ok. Sam H-B should recover in 1 to 3 months from breaking his neck whilst free flying on a day the task was cancelled (apparently conditions were really good but for some reason Sam ended up landing down wind). Sam has already decided to carry on as he loves the sport so much which is good news. I was once told to give it up by a medical "expert" who could not even diagnose what was wrong with me - I just smiled back and that was that!!

Well done to Gordon who was crowned for the 8th time as British Champion. Jacques Bott won the Rigid comp after proclaiming he had also flown in some of the roughest conditions (one day his glider tucked twice!)…….........

............Say no more, I've decided that my tesitcals were just not big enough for this comp. (I wonder if I would have felt differently if the cock-up with my instrument hadn't happened on day one?)

Gordon preparing for the last task
Grant Crossingham - in second place

1 comment:

Jamie Shelden said...

Wow! That sounds like a real bummer. Sorry things didn't go so well, but glad everyone survived! Hugs to Doris!